Konami’s Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game (TCG) is one of the biggest TCGs and a brand that all stores featuring card game Organized Play should run regularly. I’ve covered this topic and company a while ago but I really wanted to update it and add it to the rest of this series for completeness.
What is Yu-Gi-Oh!?
As a store owner venturing into the card gaming arena for the first time you may have heard of Yu-Gi-Oh! but are still wondering ‘What is it?’. Hailing from Japan, Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game is developed and published by Konami. First launched in Japan in 1999, the game has had numerous sets and additions over the years, such as, the inclusion of new monster types to coincide with a new TV series or film release. This ensures a depth and variety of cards, strategies and tactics that closely rivals Magic, while having a steady flow of potential players who watch the TV series and films. The shows are centered around the adventures of a teen boy, Yugi Mutou, who duels villains and monsters by invoking powers or summoning creatures via cards he possesses. In the real life version of the game, Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG has players use a combination of monsters, spells and traps to defeat their opponent in a head-to-head duel, much like Yugi Mutou does.
Why get involved?
- Players and stores alike earn special rewards by participating in events sanctioned by Konami.
- Stores that regularly run and report sanctioned events become eligible for rewards. The store rewards start as early as their tenth event, more events a store runs and reports, the more rewards they get.
- Store promotional items include: window clings, game mats, deck boxes, lighted signs and more.
- Players competing in store sanctioned events and rank in the Top 1000, currently receive a Top 1000 game mat each quarter.
- Only OTS can hold Sneak Peek events (prereleases): These take place approximately one week prior to the official release of a new set. All OTS hold their Sneak Peeks in their stores, with exclusive Sneak Peek promotional cards and game mats provided by Konami at no cost, in addition to the boosters purchased from PHD.
- Sneak Peeks are by far the best-attended local events Konami supports. They provide a chance for players to experience the set a week in advance of anyone else while competing for exclusive goodies.
- OTS can apply to hold World Championship Qualifiers – Regionals, one of Konami’s premier-level OP programs, either in their store or at an independent venue.
- Only OTS can become vendors at Konami’s premier-level events.
- Only OTS can purchase a Duel Terminal, an amusement machine that vend cards from the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game.
- To become listed on Konami’s website as an OTS you will need to provide them with:
- Store name
- Store address
- Event dates and start times
- League schedules with dates and times
- OTS have access to human help, not an automated system. Their Tournament Store Liaison…
- Assists with event reporting, COSSY(Cards, for the Card game Official Store support System) software training and support.
- Provides additional event recommendations and in-store support
- Assists with any other issues an OTS may be having
- You can contact their Tournament Store Liaison via email.
What does it take to become an OTS?
- Fill out a short five question survey.
- Provide photos of the storefront, the sales area, and the game play area.
- Provide copies of your business license.
- Sign and return a Sales Agreement.
- Receive and begin handing out Player ID cards.
- Build and run events via COSSY online tournament software.
Who do you contact to get started?
Simply send an email to Konami’s Organized Play and they’ll get you started to becoming a Yu-Gi-Oh! official tournament store.
We can help too!
If you require assistance with your Yu-Gi-Oh! Organized Play or have general OP questions, then contact PHD’s own guru of OP, Ian Richards, and he’ll help you to become a center of OP excellence.