Consider for a moment, a mother of a 12-year old girl who loves Pokémon, is on a 40 minute drive to attend your Saturday Pokémon tournament for the first time. Along the way, the mother has been sipping on an ice-cold Diet Coke. The lunchtime traffic is extensive and by the time she arrives, she is in need of a restroom visit.
Now ask yourself this question: If this scenario happened to you, would your restroom pass the mother’s cleanliness test?
Many times we forget the small things. If your restroom fails her test then you may lose her and her daughter as customers. If it passes the test and the daughter has fun, the mother and daughter will become new customers. They will also promote your store to all their friends. That’s a lot of positive business impact from one clean restroom.
- Check the toilets regularly
- Make sure the toilet is cleaned multiple times
- Ensure there is copious soap, paper towels and nice smelling spray available
- Remove all of the trash regularly
- Keep the floors clean as well as the hardware
- Ensure the lighting is appropriate
- Make sure the lock works
- Have signs about washing hands
- Have a sign about reporting any issues, so they can be addressed immediately
Take pride in this area, as much as you do the rest of your store. It’s part of the overall experience and can get you more customers. Conversely it can cost you customers if not done right.